Skip to Main Content

Self-Help: Child Custody & Support

Free Legal Aid Organizations

Also see Jenkins' Self-Help: Free Legal Aid and/or Self-Help: Find a Lawyer guides.

Also see Jenkins' Self-Help: Free Legal Aid and/or Self-Help: Find a Lawyer guides.

Phila. Family Court Help Center

Volunteers at the Philadelphia Family Court Help Center offer free legal information services about Child Custody.

Note: The volunteers at the Help Center can provide information and forms, but are not able to provide legal advice. If you need legal advice about your particular circumstances you should contact an attorney. If you do not have an attorney, you may be able to obtain one by contacting the Philadelphia Bar Association Lawyer Referral and Information Service at 215.238.6333.

Location: 1501 Arch Street, 11th Floor

Hours: Monday - Friday, 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Services Provided:

  • Child custody basics
  • How to file for custody (Sole, Primary, Shared, Partial, or Supervised Physical Custody)
  • How to file other custody petitions, including:
    • Petition to Modify Custody Order
    • Petition for Contempt of Custody
    • Motion for Expedited Listing
    • Emergency Petition for Custody
    • Motion for Home Investigation
    • Motion for Mental Health Assessment
    • Motions About Section 5329 Criminal Offenses
    • Motion for Reconsideration
    • Custody Stipulation
    • Relocation
  • How to properly serve petitions/motions
  • How to prepare for custody conferences and hearings
  • A list of other resources